Thursday 18 October 2012

Turkey at Christmas, yes or no?! Or lets make Christmas in July a public holiday!!

Personally I don't like turkey!!  I will eat it at Christmas and even then its just a small piece!!  I don't even like roast pork!!  I would be more than happy to eat just Christmas pudding and cake!!  However a Christmas ham is a must there is no argument there!!

My other major issue with all these foods is this.  ITS TOO HOT FOR THE OVEN!!!  I vote Christmas in July is made a public holiday rather than the June long weekend and that Christmas for real is bbq and salad only!!  With the exception of a potato bake!!

The trouble with this is the older generations is they are "traditional" and set in their ways.  Both sides of our families are like this and it drives me nut!! 

 Here are my arguments for Christmas in July-
  • July is cold so having the oven on is like having extra heating
  • July would be a better time for a public holiday as it spaces them out a little bit more
  • Having a bbq may involve the menfolk more.  Let them feel special and show off their master bbq skills.
  • Or make them get off their butts rather than sit there drinking while the women do the majority of the work!!
  • It could be nice to see people more than once a year.  Depending on the people!!

So there you have it lets make Christmas in July a public Australian holiday. 

To get back to the original question- apparently it is compulsory to have turkey at Christmas but I say why not chicken!!  Do people even like turkey or has it become such a tradition that people just buy one and serve it without even thinking about it?  Would the world end if there was no turkey served? 

Great topic Mums Take Five!! 

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I'd be more than happy to squeeze another public holiday into the schedule. Christmas in July is a good enough excuse. Additionally I am more than happy to sit back sipping rose while Dadabulous works up a sensational seafood BBQ. I only have one question but its a BIGGIE. When does Santa officially visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa would still visit in December I am happy for that!! I really like Santa in his boardies etc and it would complicate things way too much however maybe his helpers could send a little present!!

      Delete
  2. yep see i dont like turkey either but for some reason when its at my house i still have to cook one because thats what you do. i did turkey roll a few years ago and my mum still hasnt recovered.
    i shall start the family debate!
    and direct all arguments your way!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone in the HOTH'S family dared do a turkey roll one year and was shot down in flames for it!! Direct away I am happy to cop all flack to do with this touchy subject!!

      Delete
  3. I say us gen y'rs make a new tradition... Seafood and ham! Its summer here at christmas dammit, lets do it the aussie way! Not a fan of a full hot chrissy lunch. Times are changing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed agreed agreed!! Lets change the world by having a mandatory seafood ham lunch!! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  4. I say us gen y'rs make a new tradition... Seafood and ham! Its summer here at christmas dammit, lets do it the aussie way! Not a fan of a full hot chrissy lunch. Times are changing for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading whatever babbling has been written here!! Please feel free to leave a comment and I promise I do reply, usually by telepathy!!